This space is to share fun preschool ideas and activities. I am also passionate about children exploring their outdoor surroundings. Thanks for stopping by to see the latest Adventure with the Kerr's!
RSS

Saturday, April 3

Our easter egg dyeing party


Our house currently smells strongly of vinegar, cabbage, turmeric, black tea, and luckily the spinach doesn't really have an odor .
(Not to mention that I threw away the large box of mildewing wheatgrass today, and cleaned out the worm soil sensory box, that had large mold spores and fruit flies.)
It's a good thing I am not pregnant because wow, the smell is super overwhelming.

Even though it smells like an international kitchen in here, we had a fun time dyeing eggs. River and my husband worked on dying eggs the traditional drop a color tablet in water & vinegar. While they were having fun I began to chop, stir, and search for the ingredients I wanted to use dye MY eggs. 
(I did feel a little bad about snagging 4 out of the 12 eggs, but my guilt didn't last long.)


I began with the turmeric... 

6 tsps. tumeric to 3 cups warm water, about 2 tabs. of vinegar, and an uncooked egg

*I let it boil and then simmer for about 25 mins.


I love the bright vibrant color!




About 1/4 head of red cabbage...

 I chopped up about 1/4 of red cabbage, about 6-8 cups warm water,   
about 6 tabs. of vinegar and an uncooked egg


*So I think I either needed more cabbage or less water because after 1 hour this is what it looked like (a very light, light hue of violet). 
I will soak it overnight to see how it turns out.



 Black tea...................
(I had some left over from making kombucha)

 6 tsps. of black tea, ( I cut open about 4 individual tea packets), 3 cups water, about 2 Tabs. of vinegar and an uncooked egg

*The processing time was about the same with the turmeric, boil & simmer for about 25 mins.


 I love the specs of brown from the loose tea. 
(It kinda makes you think, "Do they just dye white eggs in black tea, to get brown eggs :) )





The Spinach..........

I put about 4 handfuls of Spinach in about 3 cups of water, about 3-4 tabs of vinegar, 
and an uncooked egg




(No need for a photo, nothing happened)






Ahh, the Spinach. Well, dear Spinach I am sorry you did not want to cooperate or perhaps I did something wrong. Now the egg has been sitting in the spinach water for 3 hours and nothing has changed. 

I had a fun time waiting in anticipation of what would happen! I didn't have enough time or cheesecloth to the the onion marbling, but I am excited to do more food dye experiments. 

Here are the eggs River and his Papa worked on.....


*Yes we do have a tie dye tablecloth that I dyed at a tie dye summer party a few years ago. 
I thought it was appropriate to have on the table today. 
My favorite egg is the "Funky one" as River calls it, 
in the bottom left corner.

1 comments:

tawnie said...

How fun! All of the eggs are so beautiful :) What a fun idea to dye them with natural ingredients- so creative!

Post a Comment

Do tell...(it's always great to receive a little hello)

Related Posts with Thumbnails